Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Died and Gone to Heaven


I recently purchased a book called (and I am trying my best to contain myself here) Woody Allen and Philosophy [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?] It is an assortment of philosophical essays attempting to understand Allen's work through the ideas of various philosophers. One particular article immediately caught my attention: God, Suicide, and the Meaning of Life by Mark T. Conrad. Citing various films, Conrad attempts to show that romantic relationships are mere distractions, futile efforts to forget how meaningless our lives actually are.


I turn your attention to two quotes given by Conrad from Allen's movies September and "God (A Play)" respectively:


PETER: You feel so sure of that when you look out on a clear night like tonight and see all those millions of stars? That none of it matters?"

LLOYD: I think it's just as beautiful as you do, and vaguely evocative of some deep truth that always just keeps slipping away, but then my professional perspective overcomes me, a less wishful, more penetrating view of it, and I understand it for what it truly is: haphazard, morally neutral, and unimaginably violent.

PETER: Look, we shouldn't have this conversation. I have to sleep alone tonight.


DORIS: But without God, the universe is meaningless. Life is meaningless. We're meaningless. (Deadly pause) I have a sudden and overpowering urge to get laid.


In the first conversation, the idea that the universe is completely random and in effect, without meaning, immediately turns to the fear of being alone. The fact that one has to face the harsh truth of life without the distraction of a romantic relationship is frightening - Peter does not want to sleep alone. Like a child, he cannot imagine going to sleep without someone near him. Our relationships are our night-lights - they are something to focus on as we attempt to find rest in the blackness of everyday existence.


Now, you may say, "No! Our relationships are the things that provide meaning and worth to our lives. Conrad (and I frankly) would disagree. According to Conrad, "[according to Allen] Since value and meaning could only be provided by, or exist as, some external or permanent [bold is mine] feature of the universe, and since our individual projects and lives can by no means produce something eternal and permanent, these projects can never produce meaning and value. Consequently, as I've said, these pursuits are - at best - mere distractions." And, if I haven't said anything in my last 10 or so posts, I have at least shown that I find romantic relationships to be, above all, incredibly transient.


Doris says the exact same thing - coming to terms with the meaningless of all pursuits, she needs distraction. Her choice? Sex. Why not? Isn't the superficial connection with another human being better than facing the utter meaninglessness of life? I certainly think so. It's much more enjoyable and doesn't lead to suicide when done drunk. PERFECT!


No comments:

Post a Comment