Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Arthur Schopenhauer
The process of courtship also contributed to Arthur Schopenhauer's pessimism, despite his own romantic success,[14] and he argued that to be rid of the challenge of courtship would drive people to suicide with boredom. Schopenhauer theorized that individuals seek partners who share certain interests and tastes, while at the same time looking for a "complement" or completing of themselves in a partner, as in the cliché that "opposites attract." (Wikipedia)

I suppose today's blog will be dedicated to answering the question of "Why do we get into romantic relationships?" Granted, there are many theorists/philosophers/anthropologists who offer up their own reasons, but Schopenhauer's theory is definitely the one is most identify with.

Even though I have definitively established myself as a cynic, I will admit that the excitement of dating is fun. The prospect of meeting someone who could challenge my preconceived negative notions about what relationships are is the thing that makes me put on eyeliner and sit across from a complete stranger as I laundry list my accomplishments in hopes that they will find me worthwhile enough to see me again. I agree with Schopenhauer's assessment that without this pursuit of love, many of us would die from boredom. Even with our own intellectual, artistic, and emotional pursuits, we need to continue to chase sex because in a very sad way, that gives our inherently meaningless life meaning and significance.

When it comes to Schopenhauer's idea of the "complement", I agree with that as well. Even when we consider ourselves to have our own interests and passions, when we meet a potential "mate" (i.e. someone we would consider sleeping with) we assess their interests and, even if we take part in our own pursuits, begin to reflect it back to them. "Oh! Godard! He's a fantastic filmmaker! Oh, what am I interested in? That's not important...let's talk more about 'Breathless'." Do you see what I mean? Even though we may be looking for that "complement", that yin to our yang, the truth of the matter is, we fear being alone; and if that means watching Godard's "Weekend" at the Film Forum then goddammit, we will do it! (not that I'm speaking from experience here or anything)

To provide one last assessment of why we seek out romantic relationships I turn your attention to the last monologue in Annie Hall:

"I thought of that old joke, y'know, the, this... this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs."

Regardless of how ridiculous and inevitably futile it is, we need the eggs. We need to hold on to that hope that maybe there is an individual who can erase our cynicism and instill in us the belief that people are indeed reliable...yeah, right.

1 comment:

  1. love it! you are definitely too young to be jaded, but also definitely have the life experiences to humorously walk the unexperienced through the inevitable pitfalls of dating.

    today's blog makes me want an omelette.

    ReplyDelete